Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

4/9/09




The Power of Play
I am rereading a small classic book that I recommend to my students at The Writer’s Loft. It was written in the 1930’s by Dorethea Brande. The title is On Becoming a Writer; John Gardener offers the introduction to the book. It is a book that belies its age and gives testimony to the staying power of its message. A marked component of Becoming a Writer addresses how our creative lives need the time and space to play.
As synchronicity might have it, I discovered a talk by a psychiatrist, Dr. Stuart Brown, who studies about and believes in play. In fact, he leads the National Institute of Play and claims that play is inherent to human health, well being, and survival. He suggests that the opposite of play is depression. In the studies he has conducted the right hemisphere of the human brain lights up when we play.
When I am writing and creating my right brain lights up. I can feel it in my focus and energy and enthusiasm and desire. Writing stories becomes a form of play, an active engagement in make believe, and learning new things and I enter into the domain of the creative, the imaginal.
Play is my favorite word.

6 comments:

Christy said...

ME TOO! I love play. I think there is little separation between work and play when you are a creative type. I have been playing all morning with a new idea and my brain is positively aglow. I'm going to find that little book by Dorothy Brande and hunt for studies by Dr. Stuart Brown. Thanks, Betsy for your post.

Edie Hemingway said...

Betsy,
I know that feeling of focus, energy, enthusiasm and desire when I'm really engaged in my writing! And I'll definitely look for ON BECOMING A WRITER. Thank you!

Lauren said...

Keeping "play" in mind is so important! Thank you for reminding me. I love traveling outside of the USA because the American "Work" ethic allows for more play and naps. Thanks Betsy!
I have to go back to playing. I have a deadline!

john said...

Time to play.
Thanks, Betsy.

Stephanie said...

Love your dogs!! And what a great moment that is, when our books become play instead of work. Although it happens more with picture books than my novels....

David LaRochelle said...

What a good reminder for me, Betsy, to think of my writing as play rather than work. I'm struggling with a revision of a picture book that was originally play when I created it. I'm going to try to shift my attitude back to that playful mode.