Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

4/1/09

No foolin' - April is Poetry Month!

One of the many advantages of attending the national Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators conference (or attending any writing conference) is the opportunity to meet some great people and establish some long-lasting friends.

One of the good guys that I met several years ago at the LA SCBWI conference is Greg Pincus. That's him on my right and another good friend, Leslie Muir on my left at last year's 'Paint the Town Red' party.

Greg is a wonderful children's poet, the inventor of the "Fib" poetry form (how cool to know someone who actually invented a type of poetry!), and a world-class blogger. He is celebrating Poetry Month at his blogsite, www.gottabook.blogspot.com, by having a different children's author each day post a never-before-published poem. He's starting out the month in fine style with a poem by none-other-than Jack Prelutsky.

So check out Greg's site, read one of your favorite poems aloud to someone special in your life, or maybe try your hand at writing a poem. It's Poetry Month!

And while we're celebrating, I'll give a cheer to my high school English teacher Tom Diffley who made poetry so interesting that his classes always had long waiting lists. Thank you, Tom, for helping me to discover that poetry is far from the boring subject I thought it was before you enlightened me. And I still find great pleasure in reciting the poems you taught me thirty years ago!

Whose woods these are I think I know,

His house is in the village, though,...

6 comments:

Christy said...

Hey David,
Sounds like you've been having fun! I just checked out Greg Pincus's blog--good stuff there. He has linked many other blogs, though not ours. Can you give him a nudge if you think it's appropriate? I'm going to have to explore some of the other blogs listed there.

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks for the shout out, David. And YOU are one of the good guys in my book!

Edie Hemingway said...

David,
Thanks for introducing us to Greg Pinkus and his 30 Poets in 30 Days! I'm celebrating Poetry month at my Misty Hill Lodge Spring Retreat on April 18th this year with the topic of "Spring Cleaning: Finding a Fresh Literary Vision Through Poetry and Poetic Language." My friend, poet Laura Shovan, is a guest presenter this year. You can visit her blog at Author Amok.

Edie Hemingway said...

Sorry, I just realized I misspelled Greg's last name. It should be Pincus. And the link to Author Amok is
http://authoramok.blogspot.com.

Stephanie said...

Love the photo, you literally are head and shoulders above all other authors. I am trying hard to become a fan of poetry. Posts like yours help a lot.

Lauren said...

David,
I look forward to checking out Greg's blog. Those SCBWI conferences are indeed great places to make new friends!