Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

4/2/09

Eloise Jarvis McGraw


Last Sunday I met our papa caliente Lauren. It was her birthday, and we spent two hours celebrating in front of a lake. How lucky I am! I have nueve papas calientes as friends, and so many other writer friends--dead and alive.

Eloise Jarvis McGraw died years ago, but she still lives for me. To be accepted in her writing group I had to go to three times, on the fourth I had to stay home while they discussed dear me. I was accepted into the group. I learned from everyone, but everyone learned from Eloise.

You would think that after three Newbery Honors you would be sure of your writing. Not Eloise. Whenever she finished a book, she sighed. "Now I have to learn how to write my next book."

On the other hand, Eloise gave plenty of confidence to my writing. She was always encouraging me, to the point that she didn't let any member be too tough to me. I can take tough, but the truth is that Eloise's words made me write more.

Whether you are a papa caliente or not, remember to encourage talent. That way you will never die.

4 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Carmen,

Eloise looks like such a lovely and intelligent writer. And I've heard that you are a wonderful mentor, too, Carmen, from my friend and fellow 2k9 author, Rosanne Parry!

Christy said...

A teacher affects eternity; he (or she) can never tell where his (or her) influence stops. ~Henry Brooks Adams

Stephanie said...

Carmen, what a lovely post. She sounds like an amazing, encouraging, mentor. Which I am certain you are as well:)

Lauren said...

It is interesting that Eloise felt she had to "learn how to write her next book." The great painter, Henri Matisse lamented the beginning of every new canvas, uncertain of how to proceed. I believe this is a sign of a great artist-- beginner's mind!
It was so great to meet you Carmen- I cannot wait for it to happen again!