Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

3/18/09

Today






One of the many things I like about my life is the great variety it offers me. For example, today...

I spent the morning and afternoon at a Catholic school in St. Paul, working with the third and fourth graders. The third graders are writing stories about shrinking and the fourth graders are writing stories about turning into animals. I am visiting each classroom three times over the course of this week. It is very rewarding to see these students getting so excited about their own writing.

I spent this evening at Open Book in Minneapolis, being one of three judges for a juried illustrators' show. What a delight to view such strong pieces, and to see how different artists responded to illustrating the same works of poetry. Very inspiring. The other judges were an illustrator and an author, and collaborating with them on the winners provided for stimulating conversation.

And tonight I will spend reading a book by Alison McGhee, another Minnesota author. The two of us are going to be interviewed by the local public television station next week, and I want to be as familiar with her work as possible before the taping.

Teaching, Illustrating, Writing, Reading.
Working with kids, working with other adults, working alone.
Such a wonderful mix of ways to spend my day.

4 comments:

Christy said...

What a rich life!

Stephanie said...

I met Allison M. Way back in 1999 when Elizabeti's Doll won the Minnesota Book Award. (I doubt she remembers.)
I bet the kids love when you work with them!!

Lauren said...

David, you are living a very rich life, and appreciating it too-- I look forward to hearing the interview.

Edie Hemingway said...

David, how great that you've achieved such a fine and balanced life of teaching, illustrating, writing, and reading. Enjoy!