Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

3/16/09

Off to California


As the years go by, I sometimes think my early books are "over." By that I mean, oh , it's been so long since they came out. Is anyone even reading them anymore?
The second picture book I sold came out in 1998. Put out by the special needs publisher Woodbine House, We'll Paint the Octopus Red is a story about a little girl named Emma who is expecting a new sibling any day. She muses about what she will do with the new sibling, but when Isaac is born, he has Down's Syndrome. Emma then has a talk with her dad and realizes Isaac will still be able to do all the things she had planned.
Over the past decade, the response to this book has been amazing and steady. In 2007, the Barnes and Noble CEO, who had a daughter with Down Syndrome, decided to celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month with a special story time at over 500 Barnes and Noble stores, featuring We'll Paint the Octopus Red.
This weekend, I'm flying to LA to be part of a celebration for a new resource center, Club 21, for families with children with Down Syndrome. Why? They love my book and want me to read it, so I'll be doing a few story times throughout the grand opening. I imagine it will be an incredible, inspiring experience
I can't tell you how much it means for someone to tell me they like a book that I wrote. Especially ten years later...

6 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

This is wonderful, Stephanie! And it shows that a book, well written about an important subject, is ageless. Enjoy your story times!

Stephanie said...

Thanks, Edie! I'm sure I will:)

betsy woods said...

We all learn . . . I hope.

Christy said...

Stephanie,
I'd love to hear story about the creation of this book. What prompted you to write about Down Syndrome? Of course this book is still celebrated! Besides your marvelous ability to shape a story, you have given voice to, and put the spotlight on an important population.

Lauren said...

This is wonderful news, Stephanie! I know you will find this conference inspiring and I know you will be inspiring many as you read your story.

I am constantly amazed how long the lives of books are-- I much prefer it to my previous life in the "art" world where all emphasis was on "What's new" and "What's next".

john said...

Stephanie, How wonderful for you to be able to continue connecting with new people through this older book. Have a great time.