Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

3/12/09

Everyday Inspiration

Everyday Inspiration

One day I was in line at the grocery store. There was a child and her mother in front of me. The little girl was a smidgen of a thing, her strawberry-blond locks bobbed with increasing buoyancy as she bounced across the candy rack. She wanted candy, specifically a battery powered lollipop that twirled at the push of a button. Her mother said no, gently and diplomatically. The little girl didn’t feel the diplomacy, and with all the drama of a whine and tantrum of temper, she blurted, “Arrrrgh, MEAN MISS SMACKBOTTOM!”
With great restraint, I subdued my smile until they left. But, I smiled all day, and the day after. I wrote down the name Miss Smackbottom. And I think, now, even the character of the mother somehow inscribed herself into me. She was a kind mom, composed, handling a strong-willed, tired little girl who was quite bright.
Inspiration is everywhere. I think it is the receiver that has to be available and open. Both of these things are necessary. This is my hypothesis and very humbly that, but availability and openness seem to be integral to art.

5 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

So that's where Miss Smackbottom came from, Betsy! Wonderful story...

Stephanie said...

I love Mrs. Smackbottom! And this story. I was at a reading here last week, there's a writer's group, and one woman is a transplant from NOLA. She read her poem which included the refrain "Watermelon red to the rind." I wanted to jump up and say "Hey, I know that!"

Lauren said...

"I think that the receiver has to be available and open". This is so true Betsy. I know the days I am too consumed with a list of things to do and the demands of family, home and errands. I can shut down and not be in the least bit creative. This is a great reminder to stay open and available to what the world has to offer, even in line at the grocery store.

betsy woods said...

My potato friends,

Please recieve the gratefulness I feel for your welcome to my words.
On this Friday afternoon, after teaching all day, the space of being a writer, dare I say an artist, feels like my integral identity.
Always,
Betsy . . .

Christy said...

Your post makes me want to come out from behind my drawing table or keyboard, get myself in circulation, and catch some of those inspiring airwaves.