Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/10/09

The Underneath

Every once in awhile I read a book that takes my breath away. It tells me why I want to write and whispers in threads that seem to weave my own thoughts, dreams and ideas together in new and inspiring ways of writing. Kathi Appelt's book, The Underneath is one of those books for me. I do not usually read books with animals as the lead characters... I may not have ever read it if a friend on a walk around a lake had not told me that she had just read the best book of the year and then loaned me her copy. I was not halfway through the book when I gave it back to her and went to buy my own copy-- I had to have it-- 
This book sings literally-- ancient songs, legend songs, with words that feel timeless and familiar. When I finished the book I wanted to stand and shout while clapping "Bravo"! I wish I could have illustrated it, but David Small did a fine job. I wish I could have written it, but I would have to become familiar with the bayou and another way of life. It does inspire me to listen and write my own legends. The writing encourages me to find my own way of singing, which is the best way of writing for me. Just writing about it makes me want to re-read this book again. I think I will! 

2 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Lauren, your own words describing this book sing so beautifully that I can only begin to imagine the text and illustrations. Yet another book for me to look for soon!

Stephanie said...

I love when you say it inspires you to "find your own legend." I've heard so much about this book, but am glad to hear a review from the heart. I'll have to go check it out.