Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/14/09

Top of the Order

At the top is Top of the Order, the first book in my series about four friends in the fifth grade. It is brand new and is the first book in a series of four. Today, it is my favorite book. I love the cover that Doug Fraser created and kids have been spontaneously cheering when I've showed it to them.

One of the most interesting aspects of creating this book was working with two fifth-grade classes and having them critique it. They saw the manuscript while I was working on it and made numerous suggestions of things to change. I incorporated over two hundred of their suggestions and the book is better because of that.

Top of the Order is designed to appeal to third, fourth, and fifth graders, particularly boys as this an age where many boys make decisions about how much they like reading. It also contains a strong girl character named Sydney, and girls have been liking it, too . So if you know a baseball playing boy or girl of that age, please let them know about this book. 

As for my own reading, I've started Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I've owned this book for years and had many people recommend it. Now that I'm finally in it, I'm enjoying every page. 

Happy Valentine's Day. Happy Reading.





8 comments:

Lauren said...

It is a fantastic cover John!! And I will recommend it to every 3-5th grade boy and girl I know! Congratulations!

David LaRochelle said...

Congratulations, John! I agree, it is a great cover, and I know that many boys this age are starving for good sports stories. I hope it finds a huge audience.

john said...

Thank you, both. And Lauren, David and I are both interested in Keynote and seeing what you've done with it. When you get some room in your schedule, it would be great to have a field trip.

Mark said...

With sping training upon us, your new title is very timely. My son is a little younger than your target audience, but I will add your book to our nightly reading. As a baseball fan(atic), I'm sure he will love it! Also, what a great opportunity to have real-life readers to help you improve your story. Congratulations!

Christy said...

Is Liz your editor? I'm a fan of the whole team--you, the illustrator, and the publisher.

Hey, I'm in the middle of the book you recommended, Jim the Boy. The descriptions of playing baseball are quite lyrical, the characters so true--it's a fine book. Thanks for this introduction; you clearly have good taste. Now I'm eager to read your series. Top of my list to find Top of the Order.

Stephanie said...

I love the cover and can't wait to read it! Congratulations:) and I love that you got feedback directly from the source. And The Amazing Adventures... is one of my favorite books.

Edie Hemingway said...

John,
Congratulations on your new book! I agree--the cover is attention grabbing, and how wonderful that you received the help of two fifth-grade classes during the writing process. My grandson, Connor, is the perfect age for this!

john said...

Thanks to all for your comments. Yes, Liz Szabla is the editor and the team at Feiwel and Friends has been to work with.