Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

1/27/09

Either, Or, Both

To continue the discussion of books we read for fun and study, I have compiled my own “personal favorites” list, in no particular order. Some are common titles/authors, others more obscure (I purposely chose to leave out obvious classics—Charlotte’s Web, Holes, etc.—in hopes of highlighting some titles/author you may not be as familiar with). Each title and author has inspired me and informed my own pursuit of craft. All can be read for either fun or research, or best of all, both!

*The Mouse and His Child. This is the book that inspired me to switch from writing adult literary fiction to children’s fiction. A profound tale of the search for home and family, this book has it all: humor, suspense, satire, memorable characters. As numerous reviewers have noted, it is also possibly the most "philosophical" kid’s story you will ever read.

*Eva Ibbotson. The Great Ghost Rescue started it all, and I still haven’t read an Ibbotson book that didn’t teach me a lot about writing, especially when it comes to juggling a bunch of characters while still making each one an individual.

*Far-Flung Adventures series: Fergus Crane, Corby Flood, Hugo Pepper. These three books are like nothing else I’ve ever read, produced by the dynamic British team of Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. If I had to label the books, I supposed I’d call them “literary chapter books.”

*Acquila. A quintessential example of incorporating a moral (in this case, the value of education and how with the help of others we can achieve our dreams) seamlessly into a narrative.

*Lloyd Alexander. Personal favorites, Wizard in the Tree and The Cat Who Wished to be a Man. Great examples of striking the right balance between narrative and dialogue, with plenty of humor thrown in.

*Dick King-Smith. Babe, of course, is a contemporary classic, but Pigs Might Fly is just as good, in my opinion, if not better. If you want to enjoy or study chapter books, usually with animal protagonists, King-Smith is an acknowledged master.

*Shipley Manor. Another fine example of developing numerous characters and subplots in a story, mixed with a bit of magic realism, and having it all work out!

*Kaye Umansky. Funny, light-hearted fare is Umansky’s specialty. Her Pongwiffy series is justly popular in England, but everything she writes is a template for great pacing and comedic timing. Try Clover Twig and the Flying Cottage.

*Once Upon a Marigold. This is another book that has it all: tension, romance, humor, adventure, and great writing. A work so well executed it’s hard to say if it’s inspiring or daunting.

*Sid Fleischman. What can I say about Fleischman? For humor and plotting, I don’t think there is a better practitioner in the middle grade novel. Even a chapter book, such as The Ghost on Saturday Night, has a plot so deftly intertwined and satisfying that it defies easy summary.

That’s ten, and I didn’t even get to The Scarecrow and His Servant (a hilarious picaresque romp) or Standard Hero Behavior (a post-modern twist on the quest story) or the Freddy the Pig series (good, old-fashioned stories showing the value of ingenuity and friendships) or . . .

Now you know why friends don’t ask me for reading recommendations unless they’ve got some time to spare while I recite them the list!!

Bonus Tip: taking the advice of an old English professor, I still write a short synopsis of each book I read, including a brief plot summary as well as anything else that stands out. Sometimes when I’m stuck on my own writing, or just looking for inspiration, I read through the synopses (more than 80 pages at this point) and, so far, it has never failed to give me new ideas by reminding me of books and motifs I might otherwise have forgotten.

3 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Wow, Mark! Fantastic list of books to read. Most of these I'm not familiar with--just another reminder of how many good books are out there. I try to keep a list of the books I've read, but I haven't been organized enough to write down a brief synopsis of each. Great idea!

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness, your organization skills put me to shame. I'm also ashamed to say I haven't read any of these other than the Eva Ibbottson, ( I love her!). I will have to check them out...

Lauren said...

I love Ibbotson! I had forgotten about her books of late and I am so glad you reminded me-- it has been a few years since I finished the last one. I also really like your professor's idea of writing a synopsis of every book you read.... wonderful idea. Thank you!