Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

1/26/09

The Artist's Way

Hello Papas Calientes (May I borrow that from you Carmen? I love how it sounds.),

The book that keeps popping up in my life is the Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I would describe it as a 12 step program for writers and artists (I think Julia even defines it this way). Through exercises, journaling and "field trips," this book brings one back to the basics of creativity. Every few years I go through it again, and amazingly, there are always new secrets to be learned.

Another book that I refer to when I need to remember why I'm writing is bird by bird, by Annie LaMott. Her chapter on "S----y" first drafts is freeing, and her chapter on jealousy makes me laugh out loud - only because I identify so much with what she's saying.

But at this point in time, my main reading material consists of works by Romantic poets, philosophers, and linguists - all required classes at Cal State. Wordsworth is enjoyable, but Blake is hard to figure. He seems contrary and ornery, which actually reminds me of me when faced with yet another paper to write. Are there any Blake fans out there that can convince me to love him?

In the realm of children's books, Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco is a favorite, as is Little Birds Don't Cry, They Peep by Arnold Spilka. I also love The Great Gillie Hopkins by Katherine Paterson. So, so many gifted authors out there, including my fellow spuds. Happy reading!

4 comments:

Christy said...

I'll have to start on Cameron's 12-step program! Thanks for sharing that title as well as your other favorites.

Stephanie said...

I'm looking for that book today. I need a program:)

Edie Hemingway said...

I love BIRD BY BIRD, too, but have not read ARTIST'S WAY. I'll definitely have to look for that one. And thanks for more ideas of favorite children's books. As far as Blake goes, I've always liked "Fire, fire burning bright..." but am not familiar with many others by him.

Lauren said...

Year's ago when The Artist's Way came out, I was quite a snob about it-- I felt I had been my own artist for twenty years and why did I need a book to give me the steps to becoming one? I had many friends who were finding it helpful, but I refused to look at it beyond the cover. My evolution as an artist has gone through many stages that would be fun to write about at some other time, but I will just say that a few years ago, I picked it up and loved it. I still pull it off the shelves to revive and stimulate. And Bird by Bird is an annual read. Very good reminders-- thank you.