Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

10/5/13

It May Take As Long As It Wants To Take

This summer I made good progress in my middle-grade novel, but you won't see it in print for a long time. The story is getting deeper and deeper. It's forcing me to think about the importance of people accepting each other's choices, and what should a character decide when confronted with several good choices. But "what the character should decide" it's not up to me but up to the character.  Am I willing to accept her choice? Have she chosen?

It's embarrassing when people ask me what I am writing and I have to say it's the same book. But some stories take time. They have to simmer longer than overnight. I stir the stew everyday. It's bubbling, but not steaming. So, be patient.   

5 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

I feel the same way about some of my writing, Carmen!

john said...

Carmen. I love what you said about letting the character decide. Sometimes that cakes awhile. I am glad you are working on this and appreciate you sharing your process of it with us.

Lauren said...

Carmen, Thank you for sharing your process. I love that you are open to the choices of your character and allowing all the time necessary for the story to develop.

Stephanie said...

Absolutely, stories take time. We'll be here waiting when it is ready:)

David LaRochelle said...

It's reassuring to hear you say how long your stories take. Some of mine take years and years...and some of those are picture books. The title of your blog post says it well.