Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/11/11

Peace



I'm writing a day early, as today was such a peaceful one. The air was cool this morning, the birds were chirping in the trees, and a distant train was huffing its way over the tracks. It was the perfect time for remembering, for being grateful for life, and for praying for those whose lives have been changed forever by violence. The line, "Peace be with you," kept playing through my mind. Peace be with you all.


This summer was filled with revisions of two books, the waiting for illustrations for the third book, and the dreaming up of a fourth book. In other words, it was productive, yet it was still a little lonely. It's been awhile since I've attended a conference and I miss the interaction. It has made me resolve to do more SCBWI events this next year and become more social. I want to feel the magic again, and that means connections, even though I'm more comfortable on the sidelines.






6 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Diane,
It does sound as if you've had a productive summer. And since the SCBWI conference in Los Angeles was where I met you, I hope to meet up with you at another conference this year--maybe even in Maryland!

Christy said...

Wonderful photo, Diane!

It does get lonely working away in isolation. Do you belong to a writers group? I find group interaction really helps me get some perspective, not just on my work, but about the industry in general.

Peace be with you, too.

Lauren said...

You have had a productive summer Diane~ I look forward to seeing all of the books when they come to fruition! Yes, writer's groups can help for community ~ or even just emailing another writer in the area and inviting them for coffee and a one-to-one helps. I wish we all lived closer to keep each other company when the work becomes too lonely!

Diane Adams said...

My writer's group folded when our founder, Charlotte Huck, died. I haven't found a new one yet, but I need to be open to that again. Thanks for the advice, and yes, I hope to see all of you at one conference or another!

Mark said...

Diane, thanks for the poignant reminder about the importance of remembrance and thankfulness. Being a "sideliner" myself, I know too the friction between interaction and solitude, and I hope you regain a balance in your own life.

David LaRochelle said...

Congratulations on all you accomplished this summer, Diane. And I hope you can find ways to fill your need for personal writing connection. Internet connections are nice, but they are not the same as being face to face with folks.