Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/28/11

Diane Adams interviews John Coy


It was my pleasure to interview John Coy for our blog. He lives in Minneapolis with his wife Fiona, and they have a 25 year old daughter named Sophie. When we spoke, they had quite a bit of snow in their yard, similar to this photo of John as a boy. I'm guessing that's why he and his wife travel so much!!

In talking to John, I found a joyful, spiritual person with a commitment to encouraging children to love themselves as they are. John said that he tells his young audiences that being shy is a good thing. It helps one pay attention to the details, and that's what writing is about. He views his job as giving every child a fresh start, especially those that need one, and his favorite question came from an 8 year old girl who asked him, "Does being an author bring you joy?" He answered with a resounding "yes!"

So, here are my questions for John:

1. First, do you have a favorite part of writing, such as researching, revising, in-put from kids?
I LIKE REVISION. I LIKE THE SENSE OF PIECE GETTING BETTER, AND I'M ACTUALLY COMFORTED BY KNOWING THAT NO MATTER HOW HARD ONE WORKS THE PIECE CAN STILL GET BETTER.

2. Do you have a not so favorite part of writing that you put off until the very end? What forms of procrastination do you take? I do a lot of house cleaning when I don't want to start on a new story!
I TEND TO PUT OFF STARTING IN THE MORNING AND THE MAIN WAY I DO IS BY READING. I WILL READ ALL KINDS OF THINGS, INCLUDING THINGS I HAD NO PLAN TO READ. SOMETIMES I HAVE TO GIVE MYSELF 'NO READING TIMES' TO WRITE.

3. What are some unique experiences you've had through your travel?
AS A BOY I TRAVELLED TO FORTY-NINE STATES, AND MY LOVE OF TRAVEL HAS ALWAYS BEEN STRONG. I AM FORTUNATE TO VISIT SCHOOLS INTERNATIONALLY AND ONE OF MY FAVORITE EXPERIENCES CAME WHEN A BOY IN NAIROBI RAISED HIS HAND AND SAID, "YOU CAME TO MY OLD SCHOOL." I HAD SEEN HIM AT HIS SCHOOL IN OMAN. LAST FALL A BOY IN BUDAPEST SAID, "YOU CAME TO MY SCHOOL IN NAIROBI." THOSE LINKS BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT SCHOOLS FEELS WELCOMING AND SIGNIFICANT.
RECENTLY IN MUMBAI, A GIRL RAISED HER HAND AND TALKED ABOUT TWO OLD POTATOES AND ME AND SAID SHE STUDIED THAT BOOK AT HER OLD SCHOOL IN NEW YORK. THESE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL VISITS SHOW ME WHAT'S HAPPENING IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES AND MAKE THE WORLD FEEL MUCH MORE CONNECTED.

4. Any books you want to promote right now?
I AM HARD AT WORK ON THE 4 FOR 4 SERIES. TOP OF THE ORDER AND EYES ON THE GOAL ARE OUT AND LOVE OF THE GAME COMES OUT IN JULY. I AM DEEP AT WORK ON BOOK 4, WHICH WILL COME OUT IN THE WINTER OF 2012. THE SERIES HAS BEEN GREAT FUN TO WORK ON AND I ENJOY HEARING WHAT READERS THINK OF IT.

5. Any goals that you haven't reached yet? Or, maybe, that you have reached...
ONE GOAL THAT I AM PLEASED ABOUT IS THAT I GET TO WRITE. THAT'S MY JOB.
AS FOR GOALS THAT I HAVE NOT YET REACHED. THERE ARE PLENTY OF THEM.

It will be a joy watching John achieve his goals.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Nice interview! And I love the pic:)

Christy said...

I completely agree with your view on revision. I'm thankful for editors and art directors who see and note things I miss--feels like they have my back. I'm glad for opportunities to refine and improve.

It's quite amazing that you would meet the same kids in such different places. You DO get around.

Post some pictures from your travels.

Edie Hemingway said...

Yes, you DO get around, John! What an interesting interview and so nice to know you find joy in being an author.

David LaRochelle said...

How very cool to have a girl in Mumbai already familiar with one of your books from when she was in New York. Some of those kids sound like they travel as much as you do!

john said...

Thanks to Diane and to you for your comments. Christy, I'll put some pictures up this weekend. Yes, David, many of those students are major-league travelers and many of them go off to other countries on their vacations. As for the snow picture, the forecast calls for more this week. We're going for records now.

Lauren said...

"being shy is a good thing." ~ it worked for me when I was young. Lot's of dreaming time.
I too share your view on revision, John. There is so much to learn with each stage. And I love that you keep running into the same kids all around the world. It does make it seem like a small world after all.

Mark said...

You have some great adventures, John, and I think you are a fabulous ambassador for children's literature, spreading good cheer and inspiration literally around the world!

betsy woods said...

"Being shy is a good thing." Thank you John, thank you.

betsy woods said...

Oh, and John, the photograph is priceless!