Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

10/12/10

Raccoons


I'm jumping in here a day late. Sorry Mark!!

My first big writing "success" came when I was in 5th grade. We had just moved and when I started at a new school, I was jumped up to the 8th grade writing class for some reason. I truly didn't know why and no one explained it to me. (I was the third child, and I think that by that time my parents were tired of explaining things!) But in that class I wrote a poem about raccoons that won the admiration of the teacher, who made a big deal out of it to my parents. She even framed it for me. In our series of moves, the poem has been long lost, but maybe that's a good thing. I have a great memory of writing a good poem, and actually seeing it might make me think a little less of my accomplishment!! The painting that it was based on is long gone too, but I remember studying the scene of forest animals when it was hung in our family room.
I still love animals, and writing about them, and we even have some raccoons that live in the storm drain a few houses up from us.

7 comments:

Christy said...

You are adorable! You were clearly a wiz kid and it is wise that your parents didn't tell you ;-). I do wish I could read that poem, but I can certainly relate to the idea that memory can idealize things and events. It's great that you have the encouragement that came with that young success.

Mark said...

I'm guessing you were moved up 3 grades because someone took note of your literary skills! Thanks for sharing this memory.

Lauren said...

What a cutie- you and the pup. I know what you mean about not wanting to see the "real" poem. Memories are golden. I have been going through childhood pictures and writings for this topic, and there are quite a few I wish had been lost in the moves! Perhaps you should write a story/poem called "Raccoons" now?

Edie Hemingway said...

Diane,
I love this photo of you and wish we had been friends at that age! I agree with Mark that there was a reason behind being moved up 3 grades for writing. Good idea to write a "Raccoons Now" poem.

Stephanie said...

Nice! And I love the pic:)

betsy woods said...

Diane, I have a dear friend whose son rescued a baby raccoon. They fed her from a bottle.
I agree with Lauren, "Raccoons" now?

Diane Adams said...

You guys/gals are great! Thank you for loving my dorky photo and for encouraging me to think about raccoons again for a topic. That's a great idea. Edie, if we had been friends, you definitely would have been the cool one!!!