Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

5/4/10

What would I be doing if I wasn't a writer?

Our topic this go-round is exactly that, wondering what we'd all be doing other than writing. For a long time, I wanted to be a photographer. I was one of those people who was never without my camera, and I have boxes and boxes of photos to prove it. But then I took the big move. I officially declared myself professional and took my first gig. This guy had a very nice stallion he wanted to start advertising about as a stud and needed some photos.
Have you ever tried to take a decent picture of a mad horse who wants to take your head off and in no way would ever stand still and pose?
Um yeah. Ever heard that saying about never turning something you love to do into a business, because you won't love it anymore? Very true. That was my first and last job as a professional photographer.
I am pretty sure I would be a teacher. I did spend a couple years teaching junior high and high school social studies, my actual college major, and now I teach online with Gotham Writer's Workshop. And I still love to teach. My dream, actually, is to be a professor at a small college somewhere, and I haven't given up on that yet. So maybe I can do both...

5 comments:

Christy said...

This is such a funny mental image--you chasing a stallion for a photo shoot!

Now it makes sense to me why your part of the presentation we did at the Charlotte Huck Festival was full of stunningly beautiful photographs. You took those shots, right?

I have no doubt that your dream will come true.

Lauren said...

I know many great writers who have been or still are, great photographers. I think it must be connected to the ability to pay attention to the things around them. I too have no doubt that your dream will come true. I can "picture" it.

Stephanie said...

Aw, thanks guys. And I am still scared of horses because of that. He was insane.

Edie Hemingway said...

Photography and writing are both so artistic that I feel they are connected. It's great to be good at both. I, too, would love to teach writing in a small college somewhere!

john said...

Stephanie, i love your horse story. Have you written a piece about it? I'm also confident that if you want to teach at a college you will be able. Someone just asked me if I could recommend somebody to them for a position here. You'd be excellent, but that commute is a little long.