Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

1/5/10

Writing goals 2010

Next week I begin a Stanford Writer’s Studio course taught by former Stegner Fellow, Sara Michas-Martin. The class is called “Poetry: Writing the Moment.” I find much in common between poems and picture books: both are visual, both condense and distill thought, both celebrate smaller moments. I wish to sharpen my hearing and deepen my understanding as I read poetry. I am eager to experiment and hope to gain some confidence in writing my own poems.

I have poetry-picture book ideas in development that with any luck will benefit from what I learn at Stanford. Revision is big on my agenda for the year. I also want to make time for experimenting with my illustrations. I develop art simultaneously with writing—nailing down visual and verbal language alternately.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

I have taken several poetry classes at the Loft- Minneapolis' writing center. I completely agree with you Christy about the correlation between picture book text and poetry. I wish I could take the class with you! Your non-fiction book- The East-West House is the perfect combination of poetry and information. It really is a beautiful text. I wish you the best of luck with the revisions this year and all the art that comes with it.

Christy said...

Thanks, Lauren. Many of my other ideas in development are for nonfiction poetry. Too bad Minneapolis and Palo Alto are so far away. More and more I'm craving your company. Do your share your poetry with your critique group? I have one poet in my writers group, but most members are YA writers. I'm looking forward to having workshop sessions in my class of aspiring poets.

Lauren said...

I have not shared my poems with my current writer's group. I had a wonderful group a few years ago, where I shared everything-- we all did. It was a very supportive and creative group that met every two weeks! Unfortunately everyone moved to different parts of the country. We stay in touch, but it is not the same. I took a poetry class at the Loft two years ago called "Animals in Poetry" which was so provocative! Of course I shared my poems then, I even read two of them at the annual Loft Reader's Night. It took courage, but was a small step out of my closet. (I am a closet poet.) All of this talk about poetry is making me want to take another class. The Loft offers weekend workshops, I think I will look into this. Thanks Christy!

john said...

What a wonderful time of the new year for this, Christy, and what a great time to be in Palo Alto. Of course, when it's zero here this morning, that colors my view. I hope your words flow.

Christy said...

I'm sending you mid-westerners warm thoughts.

Edie Hemingway said...

I want to take a poetry class, too! I'm envious, Christy, and I'd love to read both yours and Lauren's poetry. Maybe we could have our own little online poetry exchange.

Mark said...

Good luck with your poetic pursuits!!