Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

6/1/09

Characters

Ten years ago, when I started writing books for young children, I thought that creating a character would be a piece of cake. Unfortunately, most of my stories ended up like my cakes, sunken in the middle and crusty on the edges.

Now, my stories, unlike my cakes, have half a chance of being tasty. Revision is huge to me, and each viewing of the story makes me ask more questions about the character's reactions to the dilemma he or she faces. If it's not a true feeling, then it has to be tossed. This could change the whole setting, or beginning or ending, and then it's back to the drawing board.

I think that characters take their sweet time in revealing themselves to the writer. Deadlines and house payments mean nothing to them, and all the cursing and begging and praying in the world aren't going to make them any more cooperative.

The good news is that they eventually, with blood, sweat and tears on the author's part, give one a glimpse into their worlds, and that's where the magic happens.

P.S. - If we ever all get together for potato salad, please do not ask me to bake. Thank you!

5 comments:

Mark said...

How true!! And thanks for the baking warning....

john said...

Diane, don't worry. When we get together we can all bring potatoes. Yes, that includes vodka.

Edie Hemingway said...

Yes, Diane, I agree that characters sometimes take their own sweet time to reveal themselves to their authors.

Christy said...

I wonder if there is a potato cake?

David LaRochelle said...

I'm working with a character now that has taken about five years to reveal himself. Gosh, I wish this writing business went faster, but it goes even slower when I don't sit down to write at all.

And I'm sure there's a potato cake, Christy. When John's book TWO OLD POTATOES was published, he hosted a party where ALL the food was potato based - and the spread was magnificent!