Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

5/27/09

Character Journal

Last summer I heard a wonderful presentation by the talented children's author and illustrator Debra Frasier. She showed us that in preparation for a new book, she creates a journal on that book's theme. Her journals are filled with sketches, jottings, photos, and anything she finds that might relate to her future book. Her presentation excited and inspired everyone in attendance.

The next day I bought a large artist's sketchbook and began a journal for the middle grade novel I'm writing. In the journal I've included photos of the type of pet my character has, lists of things my character fears, and thoughts that my character might have on a wide range of topics. I've also pasted pictures from magazines and the Internet that relate to my character's family and school. This journal has given me insights that I would have never discovered otherwise, and has provided me with specific details that I can use in describing both the setting and other characters. I have found it to be an excellent way to help develop both the story and character.

4 comments:

Christy said...

Debra is inspiring! This journal idea sounds like fun--I love the mixing of found clippings, photos, and so forth to build a character. Wish I could look close-up at what you created. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark said...

Great idea, David. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Edie Hemingway said...

Wonderful idea, David. The more you know about a character the more real that character becomes, even if you never use all of the material in the actual story.

Stephanie said...

wow, what a great idea