Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

4/16/09

MY TEEN SISTER and i


It's as hot as always in Puerto Rico.

Lisette takes three showers a day.

One before school

One at lunch time

One before bed.

So skinny she is I think

she'll disappear

along with the soap

down the shower drain--

I wish.

I, on the other hand, don't

let anybody, including me,

comb my hair

wash my hair

cut my hair.

Showers? On Saturdays--

if there's time

if it isn't raining

if, by chance,

I don't have a green cold.

The sugarcane fields are burning.

Ashes fall down on our porch,

an inch at least.

I take off my shoes and socks

and skate as if in the Unites States.

As in snow, I fall.

Ashy nose

ashy hands

ashy feet

I go to bed.

"Pig" Lisette says.

Pigs have fun;

pink clean sisters don't.









9 comments:

Christy said...

This is exquisite, Carmen! So visual. We need a collection of your poems/memories for a book. Include this in that collection.

Edie Hemingway said...

Carmen,
I agree with Christy. Exquisitely written from a young girl's point of view!

Stephanie said...

Carmen, that is amazing. It could be a picture book. Should be a picture book. I love the last line.

Anonymous said...

I guess you had all the fun when you were little!

Julianatkelly said...

Fun poem, mom :) I agree that it's very visual!

Lauren said...

Carmen! I love this! Your sister and my sister have something in common-- this rings so true-- yes, a picture book!

betsy woods said...

I am smiling: want to skate on ash. When I was small we would hose down the carport, put dish soap on the water and slip and slide. Is New Orleans as hot as Puerto Rico?

john said...

Carmen, Beautiful picture and beautiful poem. Thank you for transporting us.

David LaRochelle said...

What a wonderful description of such two very different sisters, and with such economy of words. I, too, think it has the potential for a picture book...and I think it is lovely just as it is now, too!